Jews lived in Gibraltar in the 14th century. However, Jews were excluded from the colony when it was ceded to England in 1713. By 1749, when the legal right of Jewish settlement was recognized, the Jewish population was about 600. In the middle of the 19th century, when the "Rock" was at the height of its importance as a naval and military base, the Jewish community numbered about 2,000. After that, the Jewish population gradually declined. During World War II, almost all the civilian population (including the Jews) were evacuated to other British territories. At present, there are about 600 Jews in Gibraltar, together with four synagogues and a communal rabbi.
The covers below commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Shaar Hashamayim Synagogue (1769-1969).
Encyclopedia Judaica, CD-Rom Edition, Keter Publishing
Copyright © 1998-99 Edward Victor