Chechnya

 

General

    Up to 1991, Chechyna was a province of the Soviet Union.  Since 1991, a bloody struggle has taken place regarding the establishment of an independent Chechan Republic.  Grozny, the capital of Chechnya, had a Jewish population of about 10,000 in 1970.  The number of Jews declined significantly over the years, and most of the remaining Jews left during the recent fighting in Chechnya.  Depicted in the postcard below is the Grozny synagogue which was built in 1900.

 

References

Encyclopedia Judaica, CD-Rom Edition, Keter Publishing

Copyright 2000 Edward Victor